Filter function

Discussion of features in GS-Calc

Filter function

Postby Crash-14 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 2:18 am

I like this program and have used it extensively. It would be helpful to have a simple filter program vs requiring use of a cumbersome pivot table when the user is simply trying to filter some data.

The help file for the pivot table is not clear as to how to use the [field,filter] function, as no example of this was given in the file.

Code: Select all
Pivot formula examples:

=pivotData(C3:H19, {1},,, {PIVOT::Sum}, PIVOT::ColumnGrandTotals)

=pivotData(sheet1!C3:H19, {1}, {2}, {3, 4}, {PIVOT::Sum, PIVOT::Count}, PIVOT::RowGrandTotals + PIVOT::ColumnGrandTotals + PIVOT::SubTotals)

=pivotData(sheet1!B3:F8, {5, 1}, {3},, {PIVOT::Sum}, PIVOT::RowGrandTotals + PIVOT::ColumnGrandTotals + PIVOT::SubTotals, 2, "Jones", 4, ">2010-01-01")

I have a basic sheet with 1.1 million rows of data in four columns, so I can't use Libre Office to filter it (will likely cut it in half and then rejoin it). I need to filter it down so that only values >0 in columns C and D are retained.
Crash-14

Re: Filter function

Postby citadel5 » Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:50 pm

You're right: using pivot tables for filtering purposes isn't the best option. Separate, much more versatile filtering will be added in the near future (perhaps before the end of May).
Btw, for strictly tabular data types GS-Base might be more effective (and it offers built-in calculation functions too).
citadel5

Return to GS-Calc Features